MHS Restoration – Air Duct/Dryer Vent Cleaning
Air duct and dryer vent cleaning do not usually appear at the top of the list of items that get routine maintenance in a home or business. Until, or unless, there’s a problem, most property owners don’t even think about having this work done. But having ductwork cleaned periodically is more than just a good idea. This simple step, when done regularly, offers a host of benefits to building owners and occupants alike, whether they are your family and pets at home or employees and customers at work.
The professionals at MHS Restoration know. MHS Restoration, a division of McMaid, provides air duct cleaning and dryer vent cleaning services in the west and northwest suburbs of Chicago, with a service area that includes Palatine, Crystal Lake, Libertyville, Barrington, Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Naperville, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, and the surrounding suburbs. We’ve seen firsthand the contaminants that accumulate in air ducts and air return registers as well as the potential dangers that exist when dryer vents are not properly cleaned.
3 Benefits To Cleaning Air Ducts
1. Indoor Air Quality – The most obvious reason to have your ducts cleaned regularly is to improve indoor air quality. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the indoor air we breathe is more polluted than outdoor air. Dust mites, pollen and mold spores, pet hair and dander, tobacco smoke, soot residue from a fire, rodent feces all get into air ducts and vents, and their harmful particulates are then spewed into the indoor environment where people breathe them in.
2. HVAC System Efficiency – Another reason to have air ducts cleaned is to improve your HVAC system’s overall efficiency, which can lead to lower monthly energy bills and extend the life of the system. The ductwork and return registers of every HVAC system get dirty through daily use. This dirt forces the system to work harder. Professional HVAC cleaning allows your system to perform at optimal efficiency.
3. Mold – Mold in your ductwork is not usually visible, either because property owners can’t readily access every portion of the ductwork system or they don’t think to look for mold in the first place. Wherever moisture and condensation is present, which can occur in HVAC systems, mold spores that enter can grow into a more dangerous infestation. People who suffer from a respiratory condition such as asthma or allergies may find their symptoms get aggravated if the air vents and ducts have mold.
Can you clean ducts and vents yourself? The short answer is “You can try.” The long answer is that, to obtain a thorough cleaning and removal of microscopic pollutants, only a professional company with the expertise and equipment to reach every portion of your ductwork and other affected areas is qualified to tackle the job properly and leave your home or business fresh and sanitized.
MHS Restoration technicians take a personalized approach to every job. And because we’re located right in your area, we’re available to answer all your questions from start to finish. We recognize that some accumulation of dust and dirt in air ducts is normal, but when conditions warrant, we are available to inspect and professionally clean your ductwork. We are licensed, bonded, and insured, and have the expertise to properly clean the air ducts in your home or business and leave building occupants breathing the highest quality air possible.
Benefits To Cleaning Dryer Vents
Having a clear, clean dryer vent is good for the operation and efficiency of your clothes dryer. More importantly, it reduces the risk of fire that can occur when a dryer vent becomes clogged and restricts air flow.
Clothes can take longer to dry or they may not dry completely by the end of the cycle because the lint filter is clogged. The minimal maintenance you should perform is to remove visible lint from the dryer’s lint filter every time you use it. That reduces the risk of a fire and improves air flow so clothes dry more quickly and the dryer uses less energy.
Beyond that, you should have the entire dryer hose and vent duct professionally cleaned every one to two years, as lint and other debris can build up anywhere in the system and present a significant safety hazard. For example, an outside vent flap that is covered with lint or does not fully open when the dryer is running is a sign the dryer vent is clogged and needs professional cleaning. MHS Restoration provides professional dryer vent cleaning that addresses these issues and more.
How Often Should I Clean Air Ducts?
The answer varies depending on the factors in your indoor and outdoor environments, and can range from two to five years.
The EPA provides guidance that states air ducts should be professionally cleaned if any of the following conditions exist:
- Excess dust and debris block air ducts
- You see dust and other particles being expelled into the interior environment
- The duct system was infested by insects or rodents
- You see mold inside the ductwork
MHS Restoration’s Duct Cleaning Process
To ensure thorough cleaning of your ductwork, and to minimize the disruption to your home or business, we follow a proven cleaning method:
- Using professional-grade equipment, we exhaust the air from your air ducts, ensuring no dust or dirt are released into the property.
- We clean inside the ductwork with a specialized tool that agitates and reaches every portion of the air duct to collect and remove as much dirt, dust, and debris as possible.
- We clean all vent covers and air return registers.
- We check the blower and evaporator coils of your HVAC unit for dirt and dust and replace the filter.
- We sanitize the ducts so the air environment is clean and fresh, and foul odors are removed.
MHS Restoration’s family-owned and operated company provides quality service and strives to attain your 100% satisfaction. When you need professional air duct and dryer vent cleaning, call MHS right away. We serve the Chicago areas of Crystal Lake, Libertyville, Barrington, Palatine, Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Naperville, Downers Grove, and Elmhurst, as well as their surrounding suburbs.